Friday, March 1, 2013

Send me on My Way

As I sat down to write this final post before heading out on our Foothills Trail adventure, Pandora threw Send me on My Way by Rusted Root on... thank you for getting it right this time, Pandora!

I'm not gonna lie, I was super antsy this afternoon at work knowing that I would soon be off for a week.  As I walked downstairs and to the back door, I had a feeling of true elation knowing that I would be headed to the woods for a big adventure with my wife.  However, when I opened the door to a cold, gray, freezing drizzle, my enthusiasm was tempered a bit.  Fortunately, the 10 day forecast for Table Rock State Park in South Carolina looks pretty good... fingers crossed!
Packed and ready to go!
When I got home, my parents stopped by to pick up Buster, our little froo froo dog, to take him to their house for the week.  (I actually found Buster on a trail in the woods a few months ago, but that's a story for another day)  Thanks so much to them and to our friends Randy and Mafe for taking care of our other dogs & chickens while we're gone!

After a delicious Friday fish dinner cooked by Heidi and shared with my parents, we did the final check on our bags.  After throwing in a few last minute items, they got a couple pounds heavier, but we're still feeling pretty good at around 37 pounds each, especially knowing that a lot of it is food and water, which will quickly start to disappear!

Tomorrow we will head south for the 7 hour drive to our destination, hopefully taking in some sights in Tennesse & North Carolina, and finding a hotel with a cheap but comfortable bed to sleep in before 4 straight nighs on the ground.   We'll check in with you tomorrow evening with tales from the road trip!

Matt

PS: Thanks so much to all who have supported our fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by making a pledge per mile on our trip.  Right now, we have over $500 in pledges!  Click here if you'd like to support our cause and add to our pressure to finish the hike :)

No comments:

Post a Comment